The Pursuit of Happiness Day is a day for you to reflect on happiness. Plan to do things that make you happy!
Tips by expert Shawn Achor on how to be happy:
- Gratitude Exercises. Write down three things you’re grateful for that occurred over the last 24 hours. They don’t have to be profound. It could be a really good cup of coffee or the warmth of a sunny day.
- The Doubler. Take one positive experience from the past 24 hours and spend two minutes writing down every detail about that experience. As you remember it, your brain labels it as meaningful and deepens the imprint.
- The Fun Fifteen. Do 15 minutes of a fun cardio activity, like gardening or walking the dog, every day. The effects of daily cardio can be as effective as taking an antidepressant.
- Meditation. Every day take two minutes to stop whatever you’re doing and concentrate on breathing. Even a short mindful break can result in a calmer, happier you.
- Conscious act of kindness. At the start of every day, send a short email or text praising someone you know. Our brains become addicted to feeling good by making others feel good.
- Deepen Social Connections. Spend time with family and friends. Our social connections are one of the best predictors for success and health, and even life expectancy
Shawn Achor is the New York Times bestselling author of Before Happiness (2013) and The Happiness Advantage (2010). After spending 12 years at Harvard University and presenting one of the top five most popular TEDx talks. Shawn has become one of the world’s leading experts on the connection between happiness and success.
For more info on Shawn, click here.